Simple [Sim-puhl]

Simple [Sim-puhl]
-adjective
1. easy to understand, deal with, use, etc.
2. not elaborate or artificial; plain
3. not ornate or luxurious; unadorned

Monday, April 23, 2012

8 Cents A Wash!


Recently, I found a blogpost on how to make homemade laundry soap. I am the type of person who likes to learn how to make things one could easily buy from the store so it naturally peeked my curiosity. But, this post also struck my interest as a way to economize and to eliminate extra chemicals in my home, so I bought the ingredients and made a batch last month. I had meant to just try it on a load of clothing and then finish the name brand liquid detergent I had left over, but I have liked using it so much that I just can't bring myself to go back to that pungent chemically manufactured goo. As a bonus, I found that making my own laundry soap was actually more thrifty than even the cheapest generic brand I could find!
My Homemade laundry soap smells fresh and clean every time I open the bucket, and my clothes seem to breathe better and feel fresher. Not to mention I only have to use an ounce for a large load, and it cost me just about $12.00 to make a batch. I am converted.

"Maryjane’s Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe

Four ingredients! Makes 16 lbs of laundry soap, means 150 full loads = 2 Tablespoons per load. Now that is some washing!

1 (4 pound) box of Super Washing Soda
1 (4 pound) box of Baking Soda
1 (4 pound) box of Borax
3 bars of Kirk’s Castile soap–Shredded (or you can use 16.5 ounces of Fels Naptha, Zote, or Ivory soaps)

Mix well and stir stir stir until fully blended. Store in a 2 gallon airtight container. That’s it! Ready to wash a load!
Add one to two heaping tablespoons in the appropriate spot in your washing machine for each load of laundry.
Enjoy the sweetness!

For HE front loader machines, dissolve 1 to 2 tbsp of detergent to hot water to make a liquid, then add to machine. Or, If you have a front loading machine you can take out the little tray that is meant for liquid only. If you put the powder in that tray it will clog. With the tray removed you can just add your scoop of dry detergent with no problems. REMEMBER it makes NO SUDS but cleans super! It works well in hard water too.

White vinegar works well in place of fabric softener. It helps keep whites bright and colors bold. Removes soap residue and it works as an anti-bacterial too. I use about 1/4 cup- just enough to fill the softener reservoir. It will NOT make your clothes smell like vinegar. If you want more fragrance, put the vinegar in the pre-rinse cycle and use your favorite fabric softener or dryer sheets; you’ll still be saving money with your homemade laundry soap."
I used the white Zote bar which is cheaper than using Fels Naptha since you get more per bar and my husband loves the smell. I do use a 1/4 cup of white vinegar, but I just pour it in the wash water after I dissolve my soap; because vinegar is an acid, if your wash tub is not rinsed after using even a small amount, it can cause your tub to start to rust.
Here's what my batch of Laundry Soap turned out looking like:
I stirred it with a wooden broom handle in my bucket like an old witch ha ha ha..

No comments:

Post a Comment