Simple [Sim-puhl]

Simple [Sim-puhl]
-adjective
1. easy to understand, deal with, use, etc.
2. not elaborate or artificial; plain
3. not ornate or luxurious; unadorned

Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Personal Touch

It never fails; a friend is getting married, or it's a loved one's birthday, or someone is sick.. I go to the grocery store and spend at least an hour if not two hours looking for a card that says "From Me to You," in a special way. I usually can't find anything that feels right to me, or the only card that I like is about $6.00 (with as many birthday cards and Christmas cards as I need to send in one year I cannot afford that!) I stopped even trying and haven't send many cards in the last five years.My sister started making cards herself a few years ago and tried to spark my interest in it. So I bought a few card-making tools and never really picked it up since I was more interested in painting. Which; by the way, I never really finished. So, I recently decided to pick up card-making and join the sensation my sister and mother have already embraced. Whenever there is a special event in someones life that I am a part of I always feel bad for not at least sending a card. (I would like to buy everyone the perfect gift, but it is just not realistic for me in my current situation, not to mention extravagant.)
A homemade card is a small piece of art; a part of yourself, that you can give to someone you care about in the moment it is needed. Aside from the initial cost of buying some basic supplies, card-making is the most economical way to give a card when a letter is too much or not enough. (Thank you, or Happy Birthday.)
There is a temptation to go overboard and just start buying all the cute embellishments and stamp sets and punches that strike your fancy. In order for this to be an economical artistic outlet one must be smart with her purchases. Realistically, a person could spend a $200.00 thoughtfully and be making her own cards for several years to come.
So yesterday was one of my best friend's wedding and I made this card for her.

My best friend's favorite color is yellow and she likes daisies. It was so much fun to make this card customized for her. I hope she loves it as much as I loved making it for her, but even if she doesn't, even if it just makes her feel as special as she really is for a moment. -Mission Accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment