Simple [Sim-puhl]

Simple [Sim-puhl]
-adjective
1. easy to understand, deal with, use, etc.
2. not elaborate or artificial; plain
3. not ornate or luxurious; unadorned

Monday, November 5, 2012

The Original Entertainment

I have some catch up posting to do!
Back in August I was working on finishing one of the longest books I have ever read. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas. It was thrilling and insightful and I loved it. I since have read An Old Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott, and am now halfway through Walden by Henry David Thoreau.
If you're looking for economy in the entertainment area of your life, one thing that doesn't have to cost a penny these days is reading. There are days when I just don't know what to do with myself if there isn't the money or it's too late to go to the movies or go climb rock walls, or play a round of golf. What can a person do for entertainment when all around us is costly or monotonous entertainment.
"Read a good book," my mother always encouraged me, and we all know that mothers are always right, don't we. I prefer to read classics. I always know I'll learn something new and might even build character when I read a classic. 
It used to be if you wanted to read and didn't want to buy a book, you would go to the library and check something out and then try to finish and get it back on time. I used to love to go to the library as a child. They always had charming characters and happy colored chairs, but when I became a young adult I became less and less interested in the library. Nothing seemed charming or fun about the library anymore and it felt more like going to a warehouse to find entertainment. Where's the scope for the imagination?
Now if I want to read a book I don't have to go out of my way to the library! There are websites and phone applications that have loads of free books to read. It's fantastic! When I'm standing in line, I can read, when I'm sitting in a drive-thru, I can read, when I'm on my lunch break, when I'm at home waiting for my bread to raise, when I'm just tired of TV commercials. I can read; and the best part is, there are no commercials. Reading a book keeps me excited through my day; wondering what is going to happen next in my ebook, and when I'll have the chance to find out. In addition to entertainment, there are many benefits to reading. Reading improves my vocabulary, my memory and my analytical thinking. Not to mention the knowledge I gain. I feel relaxed when I turn to a book after a particularly trying day. I also like to write a journal as a therapeutic outlet, it helps me gather my thoughts and prioritize.
Reading was a great amusement and the source of many happy childhood memories for me. My mother read to our whole family in the evenings and instilled in all of her children a respect for books and a love of learning. Books inspired conversations and ideas that we shared as a family and would never have experienced otherwise. I plan to do the same with my own family. I believe books are of fundamental importance in every person's life and we should try not to forget to read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment