Simple [Sim-puhl]

Simple [Sim-puhl]
-adjective
1. easy to understand, deal with, use, etc.
2. not elaborate or artificial; plain
3. not ornate or luxurious; unadorned

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Amore!

I love Spaghetti. I am talking long noodles in tomato sauce seasoned with herbs. With or without meat, any day of the week, any time of the day, hot or cold. Mmmm it's my favorite.
Since I married I have been searching for a Spaghetti I could make at home that was acceptable to my husband's pallet; he has a sensitive stomach and many food allergies. After five years I have found my champion. It is super easy and cheap to make.

Baked Spaghetti
By Bethany Thompson

Spaghetti Noodles (I prefer Trader Joes Brand)
Prego Traditional Spaghetti Sauce (my husbands favorite)
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar
2/3 lb Ground Beef, browned*
1 cup Colby Jack Cheese, shredded*

I brown the beef as I cook about 2/3rds of the package of pasta to al dente.
When the beef is ready I mop up the excess grease and water with a paper towel (a trip my Grandma taught me.) I pour in the jar of spaghetti sauce, add the brown sugar and stir like I stir gravy until the sugar dissolves and keep warm.
When noodles are cooked, I drain them and dump them into my pan of meat sauce and stir to coat evenly.
Dump noodles and sauce into a 9x13 pan, it will be spread about an inch thick, and sprinkle cheese evenly over the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Serves four.
While it is baking I prepare my garlic toast and side of veggies; corn is my favorite vegetable to eat with spaghetti. This is also a good time to wash up the dishes since pots and pans take up allot of room in the dishwasher.
*I use only 2/3 lb of ground beef because I buy a 2lb package and split it into 3 to make it go further.
*I shred cheese myself with a small food processor I bought expressly for that purpose. My FP makes shredding cheese quick and painless even though I have to then wash it. Blocks of cheese cost less than packages of shredded cheese and the shredded cheeses have a substance the manufacturers put on it to keep the shredded pieces from sticking together. I don't remember exactly what the powder is, but it's not a food substance-Nasty.

My husband told me today I could make spaghetti like this any time I want to. Hooray for simple pleasures!

No comments:

Post a Comment