Simple [Sim-puhl]

Simple [Sim-puhl]
-adjective
1. easy to understand, deal with, use, etc.
2. not elaborate or artificial; plain
3. not ornate or luxurious; unadorned

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Clean Home: A Chemical-Free Zone

When one is pregnant she is supposed to avoid fumes and chemicals as much as possible, so it was the perfect time for me to implement a chemical-free environment in my home. (Besides the noxious fumes of my Mother-in-law's perfume that seems to permeate the house that is) Try convincing an aged woman to cut the cologne... Just try.
I decided to try a couple of recipes for homemade cleaners on a couple of blogs I enjoy reading. One is for window cleaner, and the other is an all-purpose cleaner. I tried them out this week and paired with a good scrub brush, a microfiber towel and some baking soda I cleaned my bathroom top to bottom. I do use paper towels when I clean my commode because using something I plan to wash and reuse later just grosses me out for some reason. But still, if that is all the paper towels I use I feel that is pretty forgivable.
I love having a squeaky clean bathroom, unfortunately it doesn't stay that way long. But, that just gives me an excuse to use my homemade cleaners again. These homemade cleaners work great to remove hard water stains and soap scum. The baking soda is wonderful to scrub the toilet bright and it's also good for the septic system. I don't have to hold my breath while I clean or run the fan anymore! The only drawback is the floor does smell like vinegar for a while after it's cleaned, but I will try a milder solution for the floor next time and see if it helps.
Hooray for economical and simple healthy solutions!

No comments:

Post a Comment