Simple [Sim-puhl]

Simple [Sim-puhl]
-adjective
1. easy to understand, deal with, use, etc.
2. not elaborate or artificial; plain
3. not ornate or luxurious; unadorned

Monday, December 15, 2014

When Aunt Flo Comes To Visit

I have been kicking around whether or not to write a post about this for years now. After all, I squirm in my seat a little whenever a tampon commercial comes on as I watch a TV program. It is an extremely personal subject, one that is not mixed company appropriate, so I ask please, "All men, read no further! Leave the room for this doesn't concern you! Have some respect for the mysteries of womanhood!"
... Are they gone?.... Good.

Ok Ladies, there is something I never heard of, or felt any curiosity about until my late twenties. It's a shame, because that means for over a decade of my life once a month I felt anxious, burdened, even plagued by my "Monthly Gift."
I wondered when exactly it would spring forth, endured the humiliation of buying paraphernalia, stressed over whether I would have enough or have to buy more, and if I would have enough money, endured leaks and scrubbing out stains. I bore through TSS, and wondered if pads were noticeable through my pants when I walked, wondered if it could be smelled when I went out, I suffered rash from trapped moisture, and depression.
Ok TMI? I'm just trying to illustrate what horrors some, if not all, women endure on a monthly basis of which they have no control over or choice in. At least that's what I thought until I met the menstrual cup.
At first thought you may cry out in disgust, "Eeww!" After all, it is more hands on than the regularly advertised methods of menstrual care. But, when you think about it/actually try it, it's no worse than anything else we've had to deal with. In fact, I prefer a more hands on approach. It's no worse than cleaning the house or changing a diaper. C'mon! We like men to treat us like we're fragile sometimes, but we are actually strong, resilient, and pretty tough.
For the first time in my life I'm feeling in control of my menstrual week! There are no toxins to make me headachy and sick, there are no repeated shopping trips, there's no hiding byproducts when I go visiting, no worry of how I look, no trapped moisture on car rides, no dipression or embarrassment, no counting hours, no heavy leaks or scrubbing out stains! I'm a new woman! And, I want to encourage others to take control and not have to endure any more than you really have to. My cup of choice was the Diva Cup and you can read all about how it works here. You can also buy it online and avoid any awkward cashier moments! Hooray for one less thing to worry about!
P.S. Lets keep it a mystery between us. Men just don't need to know (or want to know) what's saving them money each month ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment