Simple [Sim-puhl]

Simple [Sim-puhl]
-adjective
1. easy to understand, deal with, use, etc.
2. not elaborate or artificial; plain
3. not ornate or luxurious; unadorned

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Homemade Deodorant

When I was a teenager and started wearing deodorant and antiperspirant, I never gave it a second thought. The shear humiliation of ever smelling gross or having a wet mark on my shirt was enough for me to not even question the social mandate. I had some difficulty acclimating to wearing deodorant, I tried several brands and found they made my underarms feel dry, itchy, and sometimes irritated.
One summer, I ran out of deodorant and couldn't buy more just then. I was very distraught. My dad told me to just pat some baking soda on. I was skeptical but after some convincing I gave it a shot. It worked for a few hours and I just kept applying it when I thought I needed it. Soon, it just wasn't working, so my mom suggested I add cornstarch to help absorb moisture. Once she convinced me, I found it worked better than before. But the next problem was icky lumps of my "natural deodorant" on my skin and clothes. So I tried rubbing it in better instead of patting it on like my parents had instructed. The next day my underarms stung when I perspired, since a was a strong girl I silently bore it. Soon I found my skin was slouphing off my under arms. And I didn't know what to do so I tearfully told my parents what had happened. I think my mother applied aloe to my underarms as she tried to comfort me and show me where I went wrong.
After that I decided it was easier to put up with itchy dry pits than to struggle with natural deodorant anymore.
So, fast forward over a decade. I get married and become pregnant and find out the many chemicals in bath and beauty and cleaning products can be harmful to babies, so I begin searching online for natural alternatives. I soon found on many blogs and websites several recipes and testimonials for homemade deodorant. Experienced as I had been I was very cautious and instead paid extra for "natural deodorant" for a while, but they don't work very well, and I found I couldn't really afford it.
My father suffered from Alzheimer's and passed away. All through the last year's of his life as I watched him struggle, I kept silently wondering to myself, what if he hadn't used commercial deodorant? Would such a small thing have made any difference?
So I decided I would rather try making my own again than to risk loosing anyone else over something so seemingly insignificant if it could even possibly make all the difference! I would find something that worked and I would share it with all my family and friends.
So here it is, I use:
Coconut Deodorant the
1/4 Cup Baking Soda
1/4 Cup Arrowroot Powder
6+ Tbsp Organic Virgin Unrefined Coconut Oil
Stir to a smooth thick and soft even consistancy.
I've been using this exclusively for over three months and it works all day great!
No painful peeling. It's safe!
I put mine in a jar and just scoop a pea-size amount out with a clean finger and gently smooth it on my underarm right after I put in my contacts each morning. It melts and absorbs into my skin beautifully. No itchyness or chemically smells either, I actually enjoy the smell of coconut but if you don't you can always add a couple drops of an appropriate essential oil to your batch of deodorant.
This lasts several months for me.
Okay so my husband doesn't want to apply it with his hands because he doesn't want it on his hands when he's done and he doesn't want to have to wash his hands an extra time, so I cleaned out and filled this deodorant container for him. It will get melty when the weather heats up but I decided I don't mind keeping it in the fridge and fetching it for him each day if it has a chance of saving his health.
(I do realize that natural deodorant may not be a life and death element in our daily routines. But, I also know that little things can make a big difference too, and added up just might be able to save a person's quality of life even for just a little longer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment